When Your Heart Is Just Not Into It

Tonight is the Blue and Gold for Cub Scouts. 

Which is great as there'll be dinner and dessert and games and people and yay-yay-yay from the standpoint of an 8 year old.

While we've known about this for months now, this occasion happens to fall on a day, actually a week, that just isn't a good one.

I've been sick with God-knows-what for several days now. I am achy and flu-like, but with no fever. At random times during the day I can feel my face go green as my stomach churns and I soon make a mental note as to how far the bathroom is...only to have the feeling disappear within a minute or two. On top of that: 
I. 
Can't. 
Sleep. 
I'm exhausted and yet, sleep doesn't happen. It is getting to a point where I am living in anxiety; that any sound that is made not only during the dark hours of night, but any unexpected sound made during the day is having me jump, perspire and send my heart palpitating. 

And while I would love to have doctor's proof of this illness by taking myself to see one, I am stubborn and figure just "one more day" and I'll be back to normal...though sadly I have been saying this for the past six days.

Last night I chugged some NyQuil, after slathering my body with DoTerra's OnGuard oil and finally, after an hour of tossing and turning, I fell into a deep sleep. I woke up, got the kids ready for school, took more NyQuil and slept again, until noon.

While I felt like my head was in a tight, hot bind with my neck as I rolled out of bed, right now, I feel not too shabby, as long as I stay on top of when to take Ibuprofen. Today I've been catching up on chores that I've ignored and while I feel like I'll never see the top from the bottom I'm buried under, I know I'll eventually get there.

The Cub Scout boys have been asked to make a blue and gold dessert with their fathers, to bring for the occasion. But, as it is when you are self employed, Mr Hunter's schedule today went from empty to full. 

So what were we to do? We had little time to make something, I couldn't devote a whole afternoon making a dessert with my son, the kitchen's a disaster, the kids had homework that needed to be finished before we left as we'd be getting home late, Dad wasn't going to be home in a while and...ya know, the timing for everything was just off.

But Boy Lyon had a great idea. 

How about taking a traditional, easy, childhood cookie recipe of mine that I've carried over to my children's day, and instead of using the chocolate frosting that I whip up from the Hershey's Cocoa recipe (I don't believe there's a better chocolate frosting recipe), we switch it up with some blue and yellow frosting?

Well Boy Lyon...







...your idea is genius.



Ingredients and Recipe:

Take a full box of Graham Crackers, break into half. Separate halves into two equal piles.
Use Hershey's Cocoa Frosting Recipe (see below) or a carton of any pre-made frosting.
Put frosting in a gallon sized bag, squeeze frosting into a corner and twist the top so none will come out.
Clip corner of bag.
Put a dollop size (to your liking) on first pile of halves.
ANOTHER OPTION: Use butter knife to smooth frosting on the halves, or use a spoon and add the dollop of frosting that way.
Referring to the second pile of crackers, place those halves on top of the cracker that has frosting, pushing slightly so frosting fills the inside without spilling over.
Let sit out until you're ready to eat. The longer you wait, the better! The graham crackers soften as they absorb the frosting.

"PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency.
Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.



P.S. I'm not pregnant.

0 Inspiring Comments:

Post a Comment